Reading rooms at the National Library re-open from May 8
The reading rooms of the National Library of Poland re-open from May 8, 2021. In order to ensure the safety of Library users and staff, rules concerning use of the reading rooms during the epidemic remain in effect.
Please note that the digital resources of the National Library are still available 24/7 on polona.pl, providing access to more than three million publications.
Main Reading Room
A total of 15 desks are available in the Main Reading Room (Czytelnia Ogólna). A maximum of one reservation a day is possible, for one of the following time slots:
You can reserve a seat for one of the following time slots:
- 8.30 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.
- 1.30 to 6.00 p.m.
- 6.30 to 8.30 p.m.
To reserve a seat in the Main Reading Room:
- Go to the reservation page
- Log into your reader account
- Select a place and date
- Order and choose the desired time slot
- Check the reservation details in your account.
It is only possible to reserve one seat at a time; further reservations are possible after the first reservation has ended. After reserving your seat, please order items via the electronic catalogue of the National Library. Items must be ordered at least two days before you visit the National Library. Any items that are not collected are kept for two further calendar days. You can also order 19th to 21st century books and magazines using the terminals at the National Library.
If you have any questions about your visit, please email email@example.com or call (22) 608 23 30 or (22) 608 24 91.
Please note the new rules in force concerning use of the reading rooms during the epidemic. These rules are designed to ensure the safety of both Library users and staff:
- Disinfect your hands on entering the National Library and cover your mouth and nose
- You may order a maximum of three items (19th to 21st century books and periodicals) per seat reservation
- You must return the items borrowed before placing a new order
- If you wish to order an item from a collection for which online ordering is not possible, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manuscripts are available in the Heritage Collections Reading Room (Czytelnia Zasobu Wieczystego) between 8.30 a.m. and 5.30 p.m. Please reserve a seat by email: email@example.com.
- To access prints and drawings, maps, musical scores or ephemera, please make an appointment with the head of the collection in question via email:
- We encourage you to order publications which are not available in other libraries in Warsaw or via the Academica interlibrary loan system for books and scientific publications or polona.pl
- We will send orders for early printed books and most microfilms for free scanning and make them available via POLONA within a week. During the epidemic, these items will only be available via polona.pl
- Using the "On-demand digitisation" service you can already place orders for free scanning of early printed books and other publications not covered by copyright (copyright usually ends 70 years after the death of the author, so items published before 1951 are generally out of copyright).